[GIT PULL 2/3] ARM: tegra: move fuse code out of arch/arm

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Mon Jul 21 08:54:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 09:06:00AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 11:33 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:

> >> I strongly disagree with using init calls for this kind of thing. There
> >> are ordering dependencies between the initialization code that can only
> >> be sanely managed by explicitly calling functions in a particular order;
> >> there's simply no way to manage this using initcalls. This is exactly
> >> why the hooks in the ARM machine descriptors exist...
> >
> > Right, but there are non on 64-bit, so you need to solve it for there
> > anyway. And once it's solved there, you might as well keep it common
> > with 32-bit.
>
> My assertion is that we should just do it directly on 64-bit too.
> There's no reason for arm64 to deviate from what arch/arm does already.

On arm64, I really want to get away from any SoC specific early
initcall. One of the main reason is for things like SCU, interconnects,
system cache configurations (even certain clocks) to be enabled in
firmware before Linux starts (it's an education process but that's a way
for example to prevent people sending patches to enable SoC coherency
because they haven't thought about it before upstreaming).

It would be nice to be able to initialise SoC stuff at device_initcall()
level (and even keep such code as modules in initramfs) but one of the
problems we have is dependency on clocks (and the clock model which
doesn't follow the device/driver model). The of_platform_populate() is
called at arch_initcall_sync (after arch_initcall to still allow some
SoC code, if needed, to run at arch_initcall).

We have a similar issue with arm64 vexpress (well, just on the model)
where vexpress_sysreg_init() is a core_initcall (should be fine as
arch_initcall) as it needs to be done before of_platform_populate().
Pawel on cc should know more of the history here.

I recall there were also some discussions about a SoC driver model which
hangs off the top compatible string in the DT (e.g. "arm,vexpress") and
allow (minimal) code to be run slightly earlier, though still not
earlier than arch_initcall.

--
Catalin