Android and compatibility with deprecated armv7 instructions

Dr. David Alan Gilbert gilbertd at treblig.org
Fri Jul 4 07:09:52 PDT 2014

* Arnd Bergmann (arnd at arndb.de) wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2014 10:25:19 Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > Moreover, when you download from the play store, you are only presented
> > with the version which is appropriate for your device - when you buy a
> > new device, and you re-fetch your apps, you don't get the same version
> > that you've had on previous device if there's one more appropriate for
> > your new device.
>
> This is certainly true, but at the same time the device makers have
> a valid interest in making as many apps as possible be enabled without
> requiring a recompile. If it becomes known that device A supports 90%
> of the popular apps while device B only supports 70% of the same apps
> (until they get recompiled), the decision whether to put emulation in
> or not is more about maximizing revenue than about theoretical
> correctness.

I've got a case of mislabelled/misdelivered CPU type in the play store,
where it's delivering my ARMv6t phone a library that has v6t2 instructions
in (cbz/cbnz) - for Google's own Google+ app.

Dave

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /