TWL6040 fails to initialize

Florian Vaussard florian.vaussard at epfl.ch
Thu Feb 27 10:24:15 EST 2014

On 02/27/2014 01:05 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:

>>> Even when the AUDPWRON signal is low we can access to registers in VIO domain,
>>> plug detect and GPO functions. So there's no need to power on the codec just
>>> to power it down later.
>>>

>> Ok, if it is safe to do so, I am fine with the current probe. I let you
>> post a patch to add a delay after requesting the GPIO.
>

> There's something else going on on your board.
> I did some experiments on PandaBoards: in u-boot I set the GPIO127 (audpwron)
> high and boot the kernel.
> During the boot I see all sorts of errors, mcpdm fails to reset, i2c timeouts
> towards twl6040.
> For this the solution is to read the INTID register just after I request the
> gpio - to clear any no longer valid interrupts before we request the IRQ. This
> works fine on my boards.

As I said in the other thread, reading INTID is solving the issue, but
it could be a side effect.

> The issue you have with your board is something totally different.
> One thing might be that the i2c bus is set to 400KHz while the twl6040 by
> default is set for normal mode (100KHz). On all of the boards I have access
> this works fine but there might be some electrical issue on your board which
> causes i2c to fail.

I should probe the I2C bus to dig the issue further, but I don't have
access to the pins. So apart drilling into the PCB, this will remain a
kind of mystery.

Your patches are somehow solving this, so I will stop my investigations
for now.

> There's also another thing I just noticed: the regmap patch
> regmap_register_patch() when it is applied will not update the regcache by
> design. I do not like that too much. On the other hand it is handy to set the
> ACCCTL register as early as possible.
>
> So, I'm not sure about the delay and why it helps on your board.

Not sure neither.

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards,
Florian