[RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

Peter Maydell peter.maydell at linaro.org
Wed Feb 26 18:14:56 EST 2014

On 26 February 2014 23:08, Rob Herring <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell at linaro.org> wrote:
>> What does the 8250 have to recommend it over just providing
>> the PL011?
>
> As I mentioned, it will just work for anything that expects the serial
> port to be ttyS0 as on x86 rather than ttyAMA0.

This doesn't seem very compelling to me. Either userspace
should just be fixed or the kernel should implement a namespace
for serial ports which doesn't randomly change just because the
particular h/w driver doing the implementation is different.
We shouldn't be papering over other peoples' problems in the VM
spec IMHO.

thanks
-- PMM