[BUG] FL1009: xHCI host not responding to stop endpoint command.

Arnaud Ebalard arno at natisbad.org
Tue Feb 18 15:54:31 EST 2014

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> writes:

> Dear Arnaud Ebalard,
>
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:49:17 +0100, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
>
>> I started suspecting the introduction of MSI support in Marvell PCIe
>> host controller driver (FL1009 is on the PCIe bus) and compiled a
>> a 3.13.0-rc8 w/ CONFIG_PCI_MSI disabled (it was enabled in all my
>> previous tests): I did not manage to reproduce the issue with this
>> kernel. As a side note, commits 5b4deb6526bd, 31f614edb726 and
>> 627dfcc249e2 are
>>
>> ATM, I do not know if the problem is related to a bug in introduced MSI
>> support or some weird incompatibility of that functionality with the
>> FL1009 which would require some quirk in XHCI stack.
>>
>> Thomas, I took a look at the changes but I am not familiar w/ how MSI
>> work. You may have an idea on what is going on here.
>
> I finally got some idea: your kernel 3.13-rc7 lacks a very important
> fix we did in the irqchip driver MSI handling. You really need to have
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/irqchip/irq-armada-370-xp.c?id=c7f7bd4a136e4b02dd2a66bf95aec545bd93e8db
> applied to get proper MSI behavior. Without this patch, there is a race
> condition, and some MSI interrupts might be lost.
>
> This commit was merged in v3.14-rc2, and backported to 3.13 and
> previous stable releases.
>
> Can you test after applying this commit?

Just to be sure, I compiled a 3.13 w/ PCI_MSI enabled and w/o the fix:
it failed as usual. Then, I just applied the fix on top of it and tested
again: I was unable to make it fail, i.e. this oneline fixes the issue.

Sarah, I guess this also validates the fact that FL1009 has good MSI
support ;-)

Thanks for the time you both spent. Let's close the case.

Cheers,

a+