FP register corruption in Exynos 4210 (Cortex-A9)

Lanchon lanchon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:46:27 PST 2014

On 10/10/2014 07:01 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

>>> No.  We don't "turn off" the VFP.  We disable and enable access to VFP
>>> via the coprocessor access register.  If the VFP access is disabled and
>>> then re-enabled, all state is preserved.
>>>
>>> The only time which state would be lost is if (eg) we hot-unplug the
>>> entire CPU, but that first requires a context switch which implies that
>>> the state will already be saved.
>> Could the problem be caused by a bug in the exynos CPU suspend/resume
>> path then? E.g. if we go to sleep with VFP access disabled but it
>> comes back with VFP access enabled (or vice versa) that could lead
>> to the wrong register state being seen by the user space application.
> Well, an interesting test would be to save out the entire VFP state
> both before and after the pread64 call, and then inspect that to
> determine whether it is a single register or multiple registers
> which are being corrupted.
>
> However, looking at the mainline code, we do the right thing with the
> CPU PM infrastructure, and that is called appropriately by the exynos
> CPU idle driver.
>
> So, another possible test for Lanchon would be to see whether disabling
> CPU idle support fixes the problem.

hi again! thank you all for your help. i sort of disappeared, i'm very
sorry about that.

i never mentioned it here, but the fact was that i didn't have a device
to test on. so all i could do was post test code and ask users for their
help. at some point no one was helping; i waited for test results but
they never happened, so i got frustrated and abandoned the project.

but recently interest built up again and we were able to progress and
finally fix this, so i'm writing to let you know how it turned out.

so remember there was random userland VFP register corruption. the VFP
state was not being corrupted in the registers nor in the saved state in
ram. what happened was: the kernel tracks the leftover state in the VFP
once the eager state save is done. in the lazy restore trap, the kernel
optimizes away the state load and instead only enables the VFP if it can
prove that the leftover state in the VFP hardware matches the process
state saved in ram.

however under some circumstances the kernel did the wrong thing: it
didn't reload the registers even though it was needed, probably because
the hardware had been powered down and had lost state without the
tracking code getting word of it. just disabling the optimization made
the kernel solid.

a couple of days later the root cause seems to have been identified and
fixed. i describe the whole thing here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/kernel-fpbug-stable-4-x-kernel-galaxy-t2978088

once again, thank you for all your help.

kind regards
Lanchon