AT91 slow clock mode regression/fixes, improvement proposal

Sylvain Rochet sylvain.rochet at finsecur.com
Thu Dec 18 13:23:30 PST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 09:39:04PM +0100, Sylvain Rochet wrote:

> About e0c8ba9b0ec3154e87da747098ee56e96ca3cee6:
>
> I have mixed feeling about moving the PLL enabling from slow clock mode
> to master clock mode. Starting PLL is almost all about waiting, waiting,
> and waiting until they are stable enough to be used, the few CPU
> instructions required to switch ON the PLL is nothing compared to the
> wait time.
>
> To be sure I benchmarked the required time to set up the UTMI PLL (using
> a GPIO + scope) on my AT91SAM9G35-CM module in both slow clock and
> master clock mode, I found out the required time to start up the PLL is,
> as expected, -exactly- the same.
>
> But, previously, we were waiting with the CPU in slow clock mode, when
> the CPU power consumption is very very low, now we are waiting when the
> CPU is in full speed, which is worse.
>
> Or, I am missing something ?

Responding myself on this point, just did further mesurements, and...
well, this can be discarded. I didn't notice at first that PLL startup
time are only about to take ~500 us, which is a negligible amount of
time and is actually a bit faster (just a bit) on master clock. I
really should have checked the timing as well with PLL start up
disabled, sorry :)

Sylvain