regression: Clock changes in next-20141205 break at least omap4

Tero Kristo t-kristo at ti.com
Wed Dec 17 03:59:54 PST 2014

On 12/17/2014 11:52 AM, Lucas Stach wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2014, 22:25 +0000 schrieb Paul Walmsley:
>> + paul at pwsan.com (I prefer not having to deal with MS Exchange when
>> possible :-) )

>>> I would argue that running a PLL in open-loop mode is an exceptional
>>> circumstance: in such scenarios, many PLLs will head towards a certain
>>> frequency (depending on their design) and some may be rather unstable
>>> in open loop mode.  Only those which have been explicitly designed to
>>> be stable in open loop mode should be run that way.
>>>
>>> And arguably, a PLL without a reference clock is not a phase *locked*
>>> loop at all - the clue is in the name.  A PLL without a reference clock
>>> is merely an oscillator.  There is no "phase lock" what so ever.

>>> This really is a question about how you view a PLL, and it's one which
>>> can be debated for a very long time, and everyone will have perfectly
>>> valid but conflicting ideas on it.
>>
>> Yep, I agree with most of what you wrote.  I was mostly thinking about our
>> Linux data structures and software abstraction for clocks that have
>> multiple input clocks that all need to be simultaneously active for the IP
>> block to work.  PLLs and PLL-like clock sources which take multiple input
>> clocks just happened to be the examples of this phenomenon that came to
>> mind.
>>
>> Those multiple input clocks could all be considered "parents" from a
>> use-counting point of view, and we could expect the core clock code to
>> deal with them.  Or one could take the electrical point of view and
>> consider only one of the input clocks to be the "parent" -- whatever's
>> directly driving the output clock -- and fix up the gating and constraint
>> details in the driver code for that clock source.
>>
>> I don't think this pot is boiling over at the moment; but, just something
>> for us to reflect on.
>>
> Maybe I'm thinking about this too lightly, but I think we already have
> the right abstractions in place.
>
> The clock tree in Linux is always modeled along the flow of reference
> clocks. So typically the root of the tree is something like an
> oscillator and everything spreads out from this in a parent/child
> relation. So clearly the reference clock of a PLL is the PLLs parent. If
> the PLL is running in open-loop mode (isn't this rather direct frequency
> synthesis?) is has no parent and is the root of a tree itself.
>
> If a PLL needs a functional clock to drive some internal logic, that
> doesn't directly influence the clock synthesis from reference to
> resulting clock, that clock would be no parent to the PLL. The PLL is
> merely a consumer of this clock just like every other device in the
> system.
>
> Regards,
> Lucas

The dual parent issue required by the DPLL code is caused by the
introduction of determine-rate / set-parent / set-rate-and-parent logic
to OMAP DPPLs. I took a short-cut here, making the assumption that every
DPLL has both of these clocks defined (which basically they do have, as
every DPLL technically has both reference and bypass clocks, but which
can be the same clock => thus the declaration itself is missing in some
cases.) The clock data is modelled like this for every other TI SoC
(which use DT clock data), except for omap3 legacy clock data, thus the
patch to tweak the clock data itself. It would be much harder to modify
the clock code itself to take this into account, rather than just add
the missing parents to the clock data, thus the approach taken in the
patch. We can of course discuss whether it is okay to have DPLLs
modelled as they are right now. I think them as composite clocks
containing mux, gate and divider/multiplier logic within a single black
box, we could split them up, but I don't see much need for that. If it
works, don't break it.

Regarding the omap3 clock data patch, I have also just posted new patch
set that will move the omap3 legacy clock data under clock driver, until
we figure out what to finally do with this (use the DT clocks, or
introduce loadable clock data modules or something.) Thus, the data
patch is kind of a temporary one, or thats the intention at least, but I
wouldn't call it a hack. It is there to fix the issues introduced by the
set-parent / set-rate-and-parent logic, which was required by the
changes to the core clock set-rate.

-Tero