[RFC V1 0/8] CPUFreq: create platform-dev for DT based cpufreq drivers

Sudeep Holla sudeep.holla at arm.com
Mon Dec 1 08:56:08 PST 2014

On 01/12/14 16:03, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2014 15:07:15 Sudeep Holla wrote:

>>> I would prefer the /cpus node over the /chosen node because the former
>>> describes the hardware while the latter is supposed to be user-settable
>>> (on real open-firmware at least). But I think either one is better than
>>> using the / node compatible string.
>>>

>> Agreed, the main reason for objection was that in the initial proposal
>> it was more a Linux configuration rather than hardware property.
>>
>> <dvfs-method> = "cpufreq-dt";
>>
>> I don't see anything hardware feature presented with that. On the other
>> hand, we could represent the some thing like whether the cpu share
>> clock or are they independently clocked as a hardware property in the
>> cpu nodes.
>
> My interpretation of the dvfs-method property is that the string states
> how dvfs works. In particular, it would be used to tell the difference
> between machines that just rely on the clocks and regulators properties
> of the CPU nodes as defined in bindings/cpufreq/cpufreq-dt.txt compared
> to those that need platform-specific properties beyond that. The value
> of the string should indeed not be "cpufreq-dt", as that would be a linux
> implementation detail and inappropriate here.

May be I misunderstood, but from Viresh's initial proposal my
understanding was that the value of the property would indicate that it
should use the cpufreq-dt driver and that sounded like Linux specific.

If it's not going to be used in that manner and is what have explained
above, I am fine with that as that's exactly what I am trying to convey
in this thread(though I now realize that I have not been so clear :( )

Regards,
Sudeep