[RFC V1 0/8] CPUFreq: create platform-dev for DT based cpufreq drivers

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Dec 1 06:11:10 PST 2014

On Monday 01 December 2014 13:35:25 Sudeep Holla wrote:
> On 01/12/14 13:29, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > On 1 December 2014 at 18:24, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> >> Thanks a lot for working on this, we really need to figure it out one day!
> >

> >> Your patches seem well-implemented, so if everybody thinks the general
> >> approach is the best solution, we should do that. From my point of view,
> >> there are two things I would do differently:
> >>
> >> - In the DT binding, I would strongly prefer anything but the root compatible
> >>    property as the key for the new platforms. Clearly we have to keep using
> >>    it for the backwards-compatibility case, as you do, but I think there
> >>    are more appropriate places to put it. Sorting from most favorite to least
> >>    favorite, my list would be:
> >>          1. a new property in /cpus/
> >>          2. a new property each /cpus/cpu at ... node.
> >
> > I did it this way earlier and named it dvfs-method but probably putting this
> > into the /cpus/ node is far better. But then Sudeep asked to utilize
> > compatible property only..
> >
> > Are you fine with the name here? "dvfs-method"
> >

> That's right, I don't like driver specific method in the cpu node as you
> initially did. But if it's a property in the chosen node (where we
> usually put the Linux specific properties), I am fine with
> that as Arnd has illustrated in his patch.

I would prefer the /cpus node over the /chosen node because the former
describes the hardware while the latter is supposed to be user-settable
(on real open-firmware at least). But I think either one is better than
using the / node compatible string.

How about a "linux,cpu-dvfs-method" property in the root node? Would
that work better for you than a "linux,dvfs-method" in the "/cpus"
node?

	Arnd