[BUG] ARM: imx6q fec watchdog timeout with TX ring dump, eth[01] balance-rr bonded

John Holland jotihojr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 03:18:22 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I've been playing around with a Utilite Pro recently. It features a
Freescale imx6q with SoC FEC as eth0 and a second ether Intel I211
interface on PCIE being mapped to eth1 amongst various other bits.

ATM, it's running debian jessie and kernel 3.16.1 with the recent three
patch sets from Russell King
athttp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/cgit/linux-arm.git/log/?h=fec-testing.

During normal operation, I have had the occasional FEC Watchdog Timeout
(FWT). However, when eth0 und eth1 are bonded to balance-rr mode and two
independent iperfs cliented by different machines with each 4 threads
run free on the Utilite, it inevitably comes to FWTs. Raising
packets_per_slave to four seems to help somewhat.

I've tried other bond types, but that doesn't help.

The bond is routed through two aggregated (trunk) ports on a Netgear
JGS524E running to the iperf clients.

The resulting dtb being used contains
             ethernet at 02188000 {
                                 clock-names = "ipg", "ahb", "ptp";
                                 clocks = <0x2 0x75 0x2 0x75 0x2 0xbe>;
                                 compatible = "fsl,imx6q-fec";
                                 interrupts-extended = <0x1 0x0 0x76 0x4
0x1 0x0 0x77 0x4>;
                                 phy-mode = "rgmii";
                                 pinctrl-0 = <0x24>;
                                 pinctrl-names = "default";
                                 reg = <0x2188000 0x4000>;
                                 status = "okay";
                         };

and the interrupts-extended node is being picked up from imx6qdl.dtsi
                         fec: ethernet at 02188000 {
                                 compatible = "fsl,imx6q-fec";
                                 reg = <0x02188000 0x4000>;
                                 interrupts-extended =
                                         <&intc 0 118 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
                                         <&intc 0 119 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
                                 clocks = <&clks 117>, <&clks 117>,
<&clks 190>;
                                 clock-names = "ipg", "ahb", "ptp";
                                 status = "disabled";
                         };

Drop me a line, if you need more information.

TIA,

John

[1] Patch set