Formal license ambiguity in arch/arm/boot/dts/sun?i-a*.dts

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Mon Aug 4 12:25:10 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:59:27PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2014, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Thanks for reporting this.
> >
> > From a quick grep, the issue is actually broader than just
> > Allwinner. At least the following platforms seem to do the same:
> >   - mvebu
> >   - axm5516
> >   - bcm
> >   - berlin
> >   - ea3250
> >   - ecx-2000
> >   - highbank
> >   - imx / mxs
> >   - lpc32xx
> >   - phy3250
> >   - picoxcell
> >   - shmobile
> >   - rockchip
> >   - socfpga
> >   - spear
> >   - ste
> >   - zynq
> >
> > Would you mind sending a patch to fix all these?
>
> I would actually prefer if we could migrate a lot of these files to BSD license,
> provided the original authors agree. We want the dtb blobs to be embeddable into
> boot loaders of any license.

Even though I'd be open to having my contributions to DTBs under the
BSD, is this really a thing?

I mean, for all I know, an OS/Bootloader would just parse a documented
binary file, and I don't see any derivative work there.

The same argument could be made for example for u-boot modifying a
DTB I guess.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons