[RFC] Saving/Restoring the internal state of an interrupt

Christoffer Dall christoffer.dall at linaro.org
Mon Aug 4 08:13:38 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 03:22:16PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04 2014 at 02:26:48 PM, Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall at linaro.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 01:31:05PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> >> Nothing special about the timer. Just that the timer being a level
> >> interrupt, the pending state is a direct consequence of the level being
> >> high (as mentionned in the note at the bottom of 1.4.2).
> >>
> >> You go from Pending to Active-and-Pending, and then to Active (when the
> >> timer is reprogrammed/disabled, though you may go back to A&P if the timer
> >> fires again immediately). Eventually, after the EOI, you go back to
> >> Inactive.
> >>
> >> Here, the only bit we really care about is the Active bit (Pending
> >> changes anyway, as we save/restore the timer context).
> >>
> >> Or is there something that I don't understand in your question?
> >>

> > If not using priorities, what difference does it make if we save/restore
> > the active bit?  The whole point is that a timer that the guest hasn't
> > reprogrammed/disabled should not raise a hardware interrupt, right?
>
> It makes a massive difference: the interrupt is active on the host, and
> it is what will prevent subsequent (and possibly spurious) timer
> interrupts from being taken.
>
> > So what I inferred from your text is that we prevent that from happening
> > by restoring the active bit.  But that will still cause the hardware to
> > assert the signal (we will become A&P) and that would raise the
> > interrupt on the hardware, we would trap again, and so on.  Or?
>
> If the interrupt is already active when you restore the timer state, no
> other timer interrupt will be injected. That's the whole point of the
> active bit.
>
> It feels like we're talking past each other, or that we're not exatly
> talking about the same thing. If that's of any help, can you have a look
> at the irq_forwarding patches I've posted a while ago?

We're not talking past each other, I've simply 'misread' the spec.  I
find it extremely confusing, because Section 3.2.4 talks specifically
about the CPU interface state machine, and Figure 3-1 correspondingly
talks about an interrupt being pending even though it's already active
(A&P), but that sort of more a distributor or input-side state for the
CPU interface.

Anyway, the pseudo code clears it up, and clarifies that it is only
actually pending if it is not active.  This insight let's me make sense
out of your e-mail, and urges me to go check the QEMU emulation soon.

-Christoffer