[RFC 08/11] ARM: dts: am33xx: Add prcm_resets node

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Apr 29 17:22:11 PDT 2014

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> [140429 13:35]:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2014 15:19:47 Dan Murphy wrote:
> > + * AM33xx reset index for PRCM Module
> > + *
> > + * Copyright 2014 Texas Instruments Inc.
> > + *
> > + * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> > + * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
> > + * published by the Free Software Foundation.
> > + */
> > +
> > +#ifndef _DT_BINDINGS_RESET_TI_AM33XX_H
> > +#define _DT_BINDINGS_RESET_TI_AM33XX_H
> > +
> > +#define RESET_DEVICE_RESET                     0
> > +#define RESET_GFX_RESET                                1
> > +#define RESET_PER_RESET                                2
> > +
> > +#endif
>
> Interfaces like this should only be used if you can't use hardware
> numbers, in general. If these numbers are in the data sheet, just
> put them directly into the dts file, as we do for interrupt numbers,
> gpio numbers, register offsets etc.
>
> If you have made them up to define an interface between the driver
> and DT because there is no usable hardare ID, I'd suggest just using
> a single file across all SoCs that have this driver, and have
> a unified name space.

Also, it's a bit unclear how the reset controller phandle is used
referenced and used by the consumer device.. Maybe setting that up
first in a Linux generic way is a good point starting point.

Maybe something like this along the same way as clocks are set up
(completely untested):

&reset1 {
	iva_reset: reset1 {
		reg = /bits/ 8 <0>;