The Alphabet (or, the sorting of Kconfig symbols)

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Tue Apr 8 11:52:25 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 04:24:27AM -0700, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > For those who don't know it, the order of letters in the alphabet is:
> >
> > A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
> >
> > and we use this order to determine the position of "select" entries in
> > Kconfig files.  We do that so that we can reduce conflicts.  Conflicts
> > such as these kinds of rubbish:
>
> Equally applies to #include ordering.
With #includes there might be exceptions though because of dependencies
between headers.
I don't know how common these are today, I didn't have had dependency
problems for some time now, but I wouldn't want checkpatch to treat the
order of #includes as error, while for Kconfig it's fine.

Best regards
Uwe