[Ksummit-2013-discuss] ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Maxime Bizon mbizon at freebox.fr
Thu Oct 24 10:33:39 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 16:19 +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:

> We treated DT the same way we had treated platform data before, which
> has inevitable lead to the current mess, which is only slightly better
> than what we used to have.

Side question, in your point of view, how is that better ?

current DT tools are not able to validate a file wrt its schema, so for
now we just moved platdata to DTS files and lost compiler type checking
in between.

I respectfully understand people fighting for *stable* DT because I see
the benefits behind this, even if IMO they absolutely do not outweigh
the pain.

But I fail to see any benefits of "forever unstable" DT, if you have to
tie the kernel tree with a DTB file, the description could have been
left in C code.

--
Maxime