[Ksummit-2013-discuss] ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Thu Oct 24 05:35:59 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 09:32 +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:29:23AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > It starts by looking up the machine ID (in procfs, but may be overridden
> > because some board vendors don't set it correctly).  If the machine is
> > supported using FDT then there is an associated DTB file which will have
> > been installed with the kernel.  The script copies/appends this to the
> > appropriate place for the boot loader.
>
> And if the ID is not recognized, then what?

Then we have no idea even where to install the kernel, or what wrapper
might be needed, so the boot loader will load it.  Lack of a DTB file is
a small problem; it would be easy to add an option to provide one
outside the kernel package.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.