[Ksummit-2013-discuss] ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at linaro.org
Tue Oct 22 13:42:48 EDT 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Matt Porter wrote:

> DT has many benefits. It would be great to leverage them as long as it
> doesn't interfere with the rate of change and willingness to evolve code
> that's always been the strength of the kernel process. That strength is
> too valuable to trade away for the "DT as ABI" vision.

Amen.  This is the best statement I've read about DT so far.

Having "stable" DT bindings is just a dream.  Experience so far is
showing that this is neither practical nor realistic.

The unstructured free-for-all approach isn't good either.  Some
compromise between the two extremes needs to be found.

Nicolas