Armada XP doesn't boot in v3.12-rc3

Ezequiel Garcia ezequiel.garcia at free-electrons.com
Wed Oct 2 16:25:48 EDT 2013

Hi Matthew:

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 04:55:25PM +0100, Matthew Minter wrote:
[...]
> I have tried a number of configurations including the defaults for the
> mach and various settings including turning CONFIG_HAVE_ARM_ARCH_TIMER
> on and off.
>
> Some configurations result in no output after uBoot's booting kernel
> line, but some reach theline "calibrating timer loop" then hang
> indefinitely.

Yup, that's the two different bugs the patches should fix.

> I am now trying the fixes branch at
> git://git.infradead.org/linux-mvebu.git (thanks Ezequiel) to see if
> that contains a solution. Once I have tried that I shall see what
> changes it made and mail back any results. (I am talking to the board
> down a serial over USB connection so can get a fair amount of
> diagnostics from the early printk system).

Please test git://git.infradead.org/linux-mvebu.git or some recent
linux-next. You should be able to boot with/without CONFIG_HAVE_ARM_ARCH_TIMER.

I expect all the fixes land in -rc4, which means mainline should be
fixed by next week.

Let me know any problems!

Thanks a lot for reporting!

--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering