Why does unmap_area_sections() depend on !CONFIG_SMP?

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at linaro.org
Tue Oct 1 14:23:43 EDT 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Joonsoo Kim wrote:

> Hello, Russell.
>
> I looked at ioremap code in arm tree and found that unmap_area_sections()
> is enabled only if !CONFIG_SMP. I can't understand the comments
> above this function and it comes from you. Could you elaborate more
> on this?
>
> I guess that flush_cache_vunmap() before clearing page table and
> flush_tlb_kernel_range() after clearing page table is safe enough to cache
> consistency regardless CONFIG_SMP configuration. I think that 4K vunmap()
> also depends on this flushing logic.
>
> Please let me know what I am missing here.

This is all related to the page table level involved.

Each entry in the first level page table may refer to a second level
page table covering 1MB worth of virtual space, or it may be a direct
mapping corresponding to 1MB of contiguous physical memory.

In Linux, all tasks, including kernel threads, have their own first
level page table.  On process creation, the top entries covering
TASK_SIZE and above in the first level page table is copied from init_mm
into the new page table as the kernel address space is meant to be
identical across all tasks.

This is however not always the case though.  Consider one call to
ioremap() which does create a new entry in the kernel virtual space.
In order to ensure that the kernel virtual space is indeed the same
across all tasks, the ioremap code would have to walk the entire task
list just to update their own copy of the kernel virtual mapping.  So
what we do instead is to create the new page table entry in init_mm
only, and lazily update the other task's page table when they fault on
access due to their own page table being incomplete.

What about iounmap() then.  When a mapping is removed, we don't want it
to be accessible through some random task's page table.  Well, in the
normal ioremap() case, the actual mapping is created into a second level
page table which happens to be common to all tasks.  Hence the first
level page table entry being created is actually a pointer to that
second level page table, and when a mapping is removed it is only
removed from that second level page table.  The second level table
itself remains in memory forever, ready to be reused for any other call
to ioremap().  Therefore there is no need to update each task's first
level table again.

So far so good.

Now comes the section mapping for ioremap().  Since this is handled into
the first level page table only with no common second level table, we
needed a mechanism to ensure that any mapping removal gets propagated to
all first level tables in the system.  This is accomplished with a
sequence counter namely vmalloc_seq which is incremented whenever such a
change occurs.  Upon every task switch, this counter is checked against
the master copy to detect when the next task to be scheduled has its
first level page table out of date, and if so it is updated before the
new memory context is instated.

But... this works only if not SMP.  On SMP, different tasks might be
running on the other CPUs and incrementing vmalloc_seq won't have any
effect on them.  This is why section mappings for ioremap() is not
available if SMP.

This could probably be fixed by sending an IPI to the other processors,
forcing them to resync their page table right after clearing the mapping
from the master table.  But no one implemented it so far.

Nicolas