ACPI

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Nov 21 19:29:54 EST 2013

On Thursday 21 November 2013, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:15:57PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > of them apply here. You keep saying "servers", but that isn't actually
> > a feature of how the system is designed, rather than what is running
> > on them. Given these examples (or any others, you could come up with),
> > which ones do you actually see as relevant here:
>
> > 1. An exterprise server (SPARC enterprise M9000, Power 795, Integrity
> >    Superdome) with the CPU core changed to run ARM instructions
> > 2. An ATX whitebox server mainboard with one to four sockets and PC
> >    peripherals and plug-compatible ARM CPU chips.
> > 3. A purpose-built server SoC based on standard components
> > 4. A new server SoC based on an older proprietary embedded or mobile
> >    SoC design (think Exynos, OMAP, Snapdragon, ... based)
> > 5. A server built from using a cheap devboard (BeagleBone, Cubieboard, ...
> >    style) with an unmodified SoC.
> > 6. A virtual machine running on KVM or Xen.
>
> I'd also ask if we need to consider desktops and laptops here - do we
> really mean distros here rather than servers, even if servers are the
> primary use case for distros right now?

Jon has previously said (multiple times) that he cares about servers
only, so I assume that is still given. If you take the exact same
hardware and firmware and add a PCIe GPU to turn it into a workstation
or laptop, I don't see that change anything from the kernel perspective,
but I'm trying to narrow the scope here, not widen it ;-)

	Arnd