ACPI vs DT at runtime

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Nov 21 15:44:39 EST 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:31:10 -0800, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:59:41AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> >>
> >> We're talking ACPI on servers here.
> >
> > Now read the rest of my email, thanks.
>
> Yes, there are use cases for ACPI on embedded, which is what Intel is
> getting into and the standard is changing accordingly. On embedded ARM
> we're quite comfortable with DT for now, so it doesn't make sense to
> consider ACPI there just for the sake of it, as far as I am concerned.
>
> And, on servers, using the embedded-targeted bindings that expose all
> hardware details (and leaving implementation to the kernel) seems
> counter to the main target of forwards- and backwards compatibility.
> That can only really be achieved by getting rid of hardware diversity
> and reaching standardized hardware platforms with discoverable
> devices. Keeping the complex parts of power management out of the
> kernel on those platforms is going to be important too.

That is something that can definitely push back on. We've got the
collision of what have we been required to do for embedded SoCs with
technology designed for systems that aren't quite as much "fun". The
ACPI team has been investigating what is needed to port existing device
drivers to use ACPI bindings, but it is resonable to say that clocks and
regulators (for example) have no business being described in the ACPI
tree.

g.