change_page_attr() implementation for ARM?

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Thu Nov 14 10:41:53 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 01:45:30PM +0000, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:
> Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas at arm.com> wrote @ Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:13:26 +0200:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 06:05:23AM +0100, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:
> > > I found a bit old discussion[1] about CPA support on ARM32(Cortex-A9).
> > >
> > > It seesm that CPA API on ARM wasn't possible because maintaining
> > > multiple pagetables under SMP is difficult. Instead currently we are
> > > using precallocated memory via DMA API.
> > >
> > > Is this situation still same for Cortex-A15 and ARM64? If the
> > > mismatched aliasing problem doesn't happen, is CPA API feasible?
> >
> > On ARMv7+LPAE and AArch64 we use separate TTBR1 for the kernel (linear)
> > mapping so in theory you could implement change_page_attr(). The
> > mismatched aliases restriction still exists but it is clarified on what
> > is and isn't allowed (so you can have Normal non-cacheable and Normal
> > cacheable aliases, as long as you take care of removing any dirty cache
> > lines that could potentially corrupt your data). The DMA API already
> > takes care of this.
>
> In DMA API, creating a new map is done via ioremap_page_range() in
> kernel virtual address space. OTOH, the removing is done via
> unmap_kernel_range(). unmap_kernel_range() internally calls
> flush_cache_all(). So as long as kernel linear mapping side cache is
> kept clean, there's no risk that stale data(on linear side) is
> written back to RAM(corruption). That's why ARM doesn't need CPA API
> at all?

__dma_alloc_buffer() allocates the actual pages and flushes them, either
directly if in lowmem or does a kmap. After his, the buffer is
guaranteed not to have any dirty cache lines. The actual mapping
(non-cacheable) is done via ioremap_page_range() and the CPU is supposed
to access the buffer only via the new mapping to avoid hitting the cache
in the linear (and cacheable) mapping.

We don't really care about unmapping, there shouldn't be anything to
have dirtied the cache in the kernel linear mapping.

--
Catalin