Kirkwood NSA 310 does not boot with 3.8.3

Lukas Zapletal lukas-x at zapletalovi.com
Sat Mar 16 16:48:13 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I have noticed that in the latest stable (3.8) kernels, support for NSA 310
(Marwell based NAS) has been added.

I tried to boot a kernel with Marwell DT and NSA310 enabled and it can't boot up
with strange error:

<snip>
## Booting image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.8.3
   Created:      2013-03-16  20:35:06 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3646704 Bytes =  3.5 MB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000d0b).

Available machine support:

ID (hex)        NAME
ffffffff        Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)

Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
</snip>

Particularly, I dont understand the ID code - it really does not look right.
This is vanilla 3.8.3. Is there an ARM-dedicated git branch I should rather use
for early support for NSA310?

Here is my full kernel config:
http://lzap.fedorapeople.org/patches/nsa310/config-3.8.3-vanilla-no-boot

I hope this is the right mailing list to ask, I apologize otherwise.