[RFC 0/4] Cleanup PRM and CM regbit headers

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Jun 25 03:14:28 EDT 2013

* Rajendra Nayak <rnayak at ti.com> [130624 05:24]:
> Hi,
>
> Over the years the PRM and CM headers for OMAP have been growing largely
> due to autogeneration which creates headers for complete PRM and
> CM register space, regardless of the actual usage of these registers in
> software.

Thanks for working on this. Yes most of this should no longer be needed.

> The latest master on linux-omap (which also happens to have the OMAP5 data)
> show these stats for the prm-regbits-*.h and cm-regbits-*.h alone. Not to mention
> there are other PRM/CM related headers which I am yet to look at.
>
> a0131687 at ula0131687:~/oldhome/repos/github/linux$ cat arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-*.h | wc -l
> 6285
> a0131687 at ula0131687:~/oldhome/repos/github/linux$ cat arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-*.h | wc -l
> 5556
>
> Using some simple awk/grep scripting I cleaned these headers to retain only the defines that
> are currently used and that changes the stats to this below.
>
> a0131687 at ula0131687:~/oldhome/repos/github/linux$ cat arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-*.h | wc -l
> 352
> a0131687 at ula0131687:~/oldhome/repos/github/linux$ cat arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-*.h | wc -l
> 661
>
> I am sharing this RFC just to take the discussion forward on how to handle these files, and many
> others which are also autogenerated, given we have newer SoCs coming up for which the autogen output
> ends up creating even larger files.

Yes we should get to the point where adding new SoCs is just few
hundred lines of code plus the new device drivers.

> Rajendra Nayak (4):
>   ARM: OMAP2: PRM/CM: Cleanup unused header contents
>   ARM: OMAP3: PRM/CM: Cleanup unused header contents
>   ARM: OMAP4: PRM/CM: Cleanup unused header contents
>   ARM: OMAP5: PRM/CM: Cleanup unused header contents
>
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-24xx.h  |  317 ----
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-33xx.h  |  758 ---------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-34xx.h  |  631 --------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-44xx.h  | 1557 -------------------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/cm-regbits-54xx.h  | 1632 -------------------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-24xx.h |  246 ---
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-33xx.h |  305 ----
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-34xx.h |  480 ------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-44xx.h | 2225 --------------------------
>  arch/arm/mach-omap2/prm-regbits-54xx.h | 2677 --------------------------------
>  10 files changed, 10828 deletions(-)

If things build and work after applying this, I suggest we send them
as a clean-up branch right after -rc1.

It seems that build testing and then randconfig testing
should be enough for these if they are unused and only
removal.

Regards,

Tony