ARM cacheflush syscall with range that spans multiple vma

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon Jun 10 16:16:57 EDT 2013

On 06/10/2013 02:09 AM -0700, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 09:59:48AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 05:05:24PM -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>>> Why does the ARM cacheflush syscall stop after the lowest vma
>>> which intersects the user-requested range?  The range could
>>> span more than one vma having contiguous addresses, such as
>>> two files MAP_SHARED into adjacent pages; or even a region
>>> that contains holes (pages not present.)
>>
>> Because you're not supposed to use it on large ranges because it's
>> an expensive operation.
>
> I posted some patches to address this recently. Obviously it's still
> expensive, but it makes the syscall restartable so that you can't DoS the
> system.
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/will/linux.git cacheflush
>
> There's WIP code there for a new iovec-based syscall too.

Please merge those patches soon.

My "app" is user-mode execve() of a compressed ET_EXEC, so UPX must flush
all of the re-generated .text, which can be a megabyte or more.  Thus I flush
one page per syscall, or write all of .text to a temporary file
(achieves cache flush because DMA accesses only memory, not cache),
or heuristically flush by "sweeping" 1/2 MB of consecutive words (thus
generating deliberate collisions and evictions.)  Each of those sucks.

It is *EXTREMELY* discouraging that cacheflush() misbehaves so badly.
*PLEASE* return an error status when you decide not to honor the API!