[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING 2/3] serial: omap: remove hwmod dependency

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Sat Feb 16 00:31:00 EST 2013

On Friday 15 February 2013 10:00 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar at ti.com> [130215 05:34]:

>>> Why do you even need it?  There's no problem with ioremapping the same
>>> space multiple times (you end up with multiple mappings but that
>>> shouldn't be a problem, except for the additional space used.)
>>>
>> It just waste of iospace and Tony insisted to have just single ioremap()
>> hence all this discussion
>
> The main goal is to avoid duplicating data both in hwmod and DT.
> That's pretty much solved as we can have the driver probe populate
> the common data for hwmod from DT as Santosh has already demonstrated.

Right.

> Then we also want the driver specific idle and reset code to be done
> in the drivers rather than in hwmod and glue it together with hwmod
> using runtime PM. The biggest issue there is how do we reset and idle
> some piece of hardware for PM purposes when there's no driver loaded.

Driver idle functions is getting sorted out. There is no need for driver
to fiddle around it since PM runtime back-end can take care of of it.
One attempt to clean that is here [1]

For the reset, we need to have a generic runtime hook as discussed and
that should take care of reset as well. That way driver just calls
generic

> For the duplicate ioremapping, I don't think there's any need to
> do it if we get things right.

Good to know. So overall, I think we do have a way to move forward
and get right things done.

Regards,
Santosh

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@vger.kernel.org/msg85177.html