OMAP baseline test results for v3.8-rc4

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Wed Feb 6 17:00:56 EST 2013

Hi Vaibhav,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Bedia, Vaibhav wrote:

> I could not track down U-Boot that you were using

It's posted now at:

http://www.pwsan.com/omap/bootloaders/beaglebone/u-boot/2011.09-00009-gcf6e04d__20120803171543/

Care to try it?

> However, using your build configs for v3.7 and v3.8-rcX I got the same
> observations i.e. v3.7 boots but others don't.
>
> One difference that I found was that post v3.7 the configs that you are using have
> CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK set. Once I disabled that I was able to bootup v3.8-rc1/4
> (didn't try rc2/3 but I suspect early_printk was the culprit there too).
>
> I checked with Santosh on this and he mentioned that for DT-only boot, which AM335x is,
> that's expected behavior.
>
> Can you update your AM335x-only config to disable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK

Setting CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=n doesn't fix the problem I'm seeing.

I also tried building a v3.8-rc6 kernel with the old v3.7-rc config that
was used before; no luck.

> or just skip earlyprintk option in the bootargs for now?

Haven't tried this one yet.

> If you still have issues booting can you update your U-Boot to v2013.01 since things
> seem to be working fine at this point.

Let's try to identify and get rid of bootloader dependencies in the
kernel.  They indicate that the kernel isn't initializing something
appropriately, which could cause strange problems later.

- Paul