[GIT PULL] ARM: mvebu fixes for v3.8-rc6 (round 2)

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Tue Feb 5 09:03:53 EST 2013

Olof, Arnd, Russell,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 09:37:17PM +0000, Jason Cooper wrote:
> The following changes since commit de27686b77f1c5c5dddf06d48fd322c52f098d51:
>
>   arm: mvebu: i2c come back in defconfig
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.infradead.org/users/jcooper/linux.git tags/mvebu_fixes_for_v3.8-rc6-round2
>
> for you to fetch changes up to b3fa2a0a2e3ac23415efec7ae848efd918b6b444:
>
>   rtc: rtc-mv: Add support for clk to avoid lockups

> mvebu fixes for v3.8-rc6 (round 2)
>
>     This series of four patches started with Simon Baatz reporting lost MAC
>     addresses when compiling mv643xx_eth as a module.  Accompanying that, he was
>     getting hard lockups on boot when most other drivers were compiled as modules.
>
>     All of this boiled down to gated clocks.  mv643xx_eth looses it's mac address
>     after it's clock gets gated.  The patch included in this series prevents the
>     ge0 and ge1 clocks from being gated when doing legacy platform init of the
>     driver.
>
>     There is another patch to accompany the DT conversion of the driver which will
>     allow reading the mac address from the devicetree.  This patch is not included
>     here because the bindings are being added for v3.9.
>
>     The hard lockups at boot were the result of many SoC IPs using the runit gate
>     clock.  Several drivers (gpio, rtc) were not claiming the clock, and of_serial
>     wouldn't claim the clock if clock-frequency was specified in the DT.
>
>     clock-frequency was only necessary before we added proper clock support, it is
>     now removed from all kirkwood dts files.
>
>     Last, proper clock support is added to gpio-mvebu and rtc-mv.
>
>     With these four fixes all drivers that can be compiled as modules can be
>     without breaking bootup.

In light of Russell's recent comment (re i.MX fixes) on Linus' standard
for -rc7, I'd like to clarify the above.

While only one user reported the above problems (Simon Baatz), it was
caused by compiling v3.8-rc5 with the debian kernel config.  This config
builds almost everything it can as a module.

I'd like to do a v2 of this pull request since it was pointed out to me
this morning that I missed a clock-frequency in
kirkwood-ns2-common.dtsi.

Does the above meet the metric Linus has set for -rc7?  I think so, but
I leave that up to you guys.

If so, I'll redo these four patches to explicitly say they fix boot
problems caused when using debians default kernel config.

thx,

Jason.