[GIT PULL 7/7] Samsung SoC for v3.14

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Mon Dec 23 04:36:18 EST 2013

Hi Tomasz,

> Hi Olof,
>
> On Sunday 22 of December 2013 14:11:41 Olof Johansson wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 05:23:01AM +0900, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> > > The following changes since commit
> > > 6ce4eac1f600b34f2f7f58f9cd8f0503d79e42ae:
> > >
> > >   Linux 3.13-rc1 (2013-11-22 11:30:55 -0800)
> > >
> > > are available in the git repository at:
> > >

> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-samsung.git
> > > tags/samsung-soc
> > >
> > > for you to fetch changes up to
> > > 538cfbb4c40ab59688236484138133b8e3e89220:
> > >
> > >   ARM: dts: Add initial support for Arndale Octa board (2013-12-16
> > > 05:05:43 +0900)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not going to pull this.
> >
> > I've asked you for about 6 months now (ever since Arnd went on
> > leave) to please finish his multiplatform work for Exynos. Nothing
> > has happened.
> >
> > I'm not going to merge any more platform or SoC enablement code
> > for Samsung platforms until Exynos has been converted over to
> > multiplatform. Sorry.
>
> Well, it's hard to disagree with you on this. Keeping adding new
> things constantly definitely does not make us closer to multiplatform
> support, as it only increases codebase of code that needs to be
> cleaned up and made multiplatform aware.
>
> However it's not that we're not doing anything towards mutliplatform
> support. We're slowly getting there. A bit too slowly, but I'm afraid
> this is due to the fact that we have definitely too little manpower
> working on mainline support of Samsung SoCs.
>
> As for good news, I already have a series cleaning up PM/sleep support
> and making it multiplatform friendly and I'm going to post it
> tomorrow. The bad news is that it depends on other series and I'm not
> sure if we can get it merged in this release. I'll try to do whatever
> possible to merge things as soon as possible, though.
>
> From smaller things, we still need to sort out Exynos cpufreq driver
> that has dependencies on headers in plat-samsung/ and mach-exynos/.
> Unfortunately I don't have so much time to work on all the things at
> the same time, so I hope that someone else could pick this task up.
> Marek, Lukasz, what do you think?

Regarding the cpufreq for Exynos, we do need to clean things up.

It shall be possible to reuse generic cpufreq-cpu0.c and
arm_big_little.c code instead of several copy pasted
exynos[4|5]xxx-cpufreq.c ones.

This change will require some "virtual" clocks implementation for atomic
clocks dividers change.

I've already committed myself to fix this code. When all goes smooth, I
shall deliver some RFC code after new year.

--
Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung R&D Institute Poland (SRPOL) | Linux Platform Group