Boot time errors/warnings on snowball

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Dec 4 12:36:08 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Lee Jones <lee.jones at linaro.org> wrote:
>> > I noticed these with last night's -next on the snowball:
>> >
>> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
>> > '/soc/msp at 80124000' missing or empty
>> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
>> > '/soc/msp at 80124000' missing or empty
>> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
>> > '/soc/msp at 80125000' missing or empty
>> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
>> > '/soc/msp at 80125000' missing or empty
>> > dma dma0chan22: [d40_config_memcpy] No memcpy`
>> > dma dma0chan22: [d40_alloc_chan_resources] Failed to configure memcpy channel
>> > ux500-msp-i2s ux500-msp-i2s.1: Missing dma channel for stream: 0
>> > ux500-msp-i2s ux500-msp-i2s.1: ASoC: pcm constructor failed: -22
>>
>> I don't see this when booting from the stuff I sent for v3.14,
>> but I know Mark applied some fixes from Lee yesterday,
>> Lee can you see if you recognize this?
>
> It looks like whatever tree you're building from is missing this patch:
>
>   ARM: ux500: Add DMA config bindings for MSP devices
>
> Which is part of the initial reason I said this:
>
>   "If this patch-set could go through ASoC as a whole, it would drive
>   down the chance of a dependency mess. Vinod has already provided
>   Acks for his parts, so it's just between you two Linus and Mark."
>
> But in Mark's defence, I also tentatively said this:
>
>   "I'm not aware of any dependencies on the ARM changes. I haven't
>   tested the arch/arm and sound/soc adaptions orthogonally, but I
>   _think_ the right decisions should be made depending on the
>   information passed from platform/dt code."
>
> But this error seems strange, as I thought we were still passing the
> MSP stuff as AUXDATA for this very reason i.e. lack of DMA support. So
> I assumed that the MSP driver(s) would take the platform data
> route. At least until the AUXDATAs have been removed, which was my
> next step.

By the way, if these things keep happening, then it's an indicator
that you should slow down the rate of change a bit and make sure
things are tested properly. You get a lot of patches produced quickly,
which is awesome, but please make sure things are coordinated and
tested especially for the more complex and inter-dependent changes
like these. If it needs to take another release (or just another week
or two) to get something staged in the right order, then that's OK.

-Olof