[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] catching up on exploit mitigations

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Aug 21 11:26:14 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:24:30AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:40:12AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>  > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:04:44PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > > To use ARM as an example, the bugs I've seen have mostly been in arch specific
>  > > code that does things like page-table manipulation.  The chromebook bugs I
>  > > was hitting for eg were various kinds of PTE corruption warnings.
>  >
>  > Hmm, really?  Did you reported these bugs?  I'm not aware of mainline
>  > having any changes related to bug reports on PTEs on ARM.
>
> I wasn't sure if it was a googleism, or happens on mainline, so no.

I've been running several iterations of it for a while (== up to 10 minutes
run time - which is normally about how long it takes to find the rather-too-
exposed kmalloc in sys_oabi_epoll_wait) and so far have seen no sign of any
page table corruption.

Maybe you can give some ideas as to how you were running it?  Was it
running as root or as a normal user?  Were there any nonstandard platform
specific devices in /dev which that user could access - such as graphics
or video decoder devices which could be exposing big holes?