[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Trustzone-based security solution for ARM Linux

Dave Martin Dave.Martin at arm.com
Thu Aug 15 13:43:15 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:03:42AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 01:36 AM, Barry Song wrote:

> >> "Linux" is just a kernel, not a whole operating system :)
> >
> > do agree. but  i am not saying i want linux kernel to do all these
> > things. i just want kernel is able to integrate into the system.
> >

> >> Anyway, why can't Linux be the RTOS kernel as well?  What are the
> >> requirements for that kernel that Linux does not currently meet?

> >> Isn't that up to the hardware?  Nothing that Linux can do about that.
> >
> > right. but linux need to assign interrupts to right group in GIC
> > hardware. now it doesn't care.
>
> I strongly hope that whatever is the secure OS is setting up these
> routings, and the HW prevents the non-secure OS from modifying them and
> hence never attempts to. Otherwise, the non-secure OS is able to affect
> the functioning of the secure OS, which seems like a bad thing.

Typically, the master controls are hard-wired for Secure-only access in
hardware: so assigning GIC interrupts to groups is something the secure
OS/firmware has to take care of.

Of course, if Linux is acting as secure OS, it might have to understand
what controls exist and to do some of that configuration itself.

Cheers
---Dave