Kexec: BE kernel on ARM VE TC2

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Wed Aug 14 11:19:21 EDT 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, Vijay Kilari wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> wrote:

> >> Interesting, is this with a mainline kernel? I don't see how SMP kexec can
> >> work on TC2 without additional patches to park the secondary cores safely.
> >
> > BTW those patches are available in linux-next at the moment.
>
> Thanks for this info.
> I see that MCPM, TC2_PM & SPC configuration needs to be enabled to have
> TC2 power management. However MCPM also depends on CCI configuration
> to register smps ops.
> In my config, I dont have CCI config enabled

You do need CCI support in addition to all the above.  Managing CPUs on
TC2 is serious business !

> Can you please suggest right configuration to be enabled and also dts
> configuration for SPC, CCI to enable TC2 power mgmt.

You need the following pieces of firmware:

mbb_v311.ebf or later in MB/HBI0190D/ and proper reference to it in
MB/HBI0190D/board.txt.

dbb_v110.ebf or later in SITE1/HBI0249A/. The file
SITE1/HBI0249A/board.txt must have a proper reference to that file,
as well as the following values in the "[SCC REGISTERS]" section:

SCC: 0x700 0x0032F003

Most important here is to have bits 12 through 15 set to 1.

Those firmware files should be available on ARM's web site.

You also need to have the following sections in your device tree source
file:

- SPC/SCC

  Depending on the flavor of the patch you have, this is either
  spc at 7fff0000 or scc at 7fff0000.  You should look for either
  vexpress-spc.txt or vexpress-scc.txt in
  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/ and use the example therein.

- CCI

  You need a CCI section as examplified in
  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/cci.txt.

> Also I am using u-boot. Do I need to use UEFI/firmware to enable TC2 power mgmt?

No.  I'm using U-Boot as well.

> I remember, some time back, I have tried linaro tracking git and
> failed to boot my board

This is most likely because of the above firmware settings and device
tree requirements.

Nicolas