Proposal: I2C device power (Was: hwmon: (lm90) Add power control)

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Aug 9 07:09:31 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 02:50:11PM +0400, Alexander Shiyan wrote:

> > This would need to be an array of supplies, relatively few devices need
> > only a single power supply.  This is also not something that should be
> > handled in I2C, power is not something that's uniquely needed by devices
> > on an I2C bus.

> Additional regulators can be handled in the driver, or "parent"-scheme can
> be used. Is not it?

Given how common it is to have multiple supplies it seems sensible to
just handle that in the core - it's common to have a digital supply and
an analogue supply for example.  The regulator framework already has
APIs for working with multiple regulators in a single call so it's not
going to be much more effort on the framework side.