[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Describing complex, non-probable system topologies

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Mon Aug 5 04:21:38 EDT 2013

* Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130805 01:08]:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 12:37:30AM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130805 00:16]:

> > > Yes I would.  I would really like to only use the platform bus for very
> > > few things, if any at all.
> >
> > OK. How would you prefer to set up things from driver point of view
> > so the device drivers don't need to care which bus it's connected to?
>
> What do you mean by "don't need to care"?  How are these drivers talking
> to the device on the bus in the first place?  If these are different
> busses, then they are talked to in different ways, right?

Let's assume that just ioremap + read/write is needed.

> Any specific examples you have to point to in the kernel today?

The one I'm struggling with is the _omap_device_notifier_call
that's not currently doing much, but we've been trying to find
a clean way to implement runtime PM calls for the bus.

There are other examples doing notifiers with platform_bus, have
not checked but I'm guessing they have similar needs:

$ git grep bus_register_notifier | grep platform_bus_type
arch/arm/mach-exynos/pm_domains.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &platform_nb);
arch/arm/mach-highbank/highbank.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &highbank_platform_nb);
arch/arm/mach-mvebu/coherency.c:                bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type,
arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap_device.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &platform_nb);
arch/microblaze/kernel/setup.c: bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &dflt_plat_bus_notifier);
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-swiotlb.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type,
arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/beat_iommu.c:       bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &celleb_of_bus_notifier);
arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/iommu.c:    bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &cell_of_bus_notifier);
drivers/acpi/acpi_lpss.c:               bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &acpi_lpss_nb);
drivers/media/platform/soc_camera/sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c:               err = bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &wait.notifier);
drivers/net/ethernet/ibm/emac/core.c:   bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &emac_of_bus_notifier);

> > That is, for the let's say 10 - 15 slightly different types of busses
> > that are currently handled as platform bus?
>
> What makes them "different"?

How the power and clock domains are done and how the clocks are gated
or idled. So basically how the devices are reset and idled at the bus
level.

> > Should we have some generic replacement for struct platform_driver
> > that can bind to let's say SoC specific bus implementation?
>
> Hm, like perhaps, "struct driver"?  :)

Sure :)

> But again, do you have a specific example I can look at to get an idea
> of what you are talking about?

Hopefully the above gives you some idea what needs to be done
at the bus level. Let's just assume bus specific reset and idle
of devices, that should already get people pretty far with runtime
PM.

Regards,

Tony