Build breakage due to latest ARM fixes

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sun Aug 4 14:47:04 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 11:20:21AM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > Okay, what I'm going to do is push the OKI67001 stuff into mainline
>> > irrespective of DT or not, so that I can then add noMMU build _and_
>> > boot tests to my build system, which should ensure that problems
>> > like that get detected before they're pushed upstream.
>>
>> That seems like a step backwards. How have !MMU changes been handled
>> until now? Someone external has been relied on for testing?
>
> No, they've had no testing as far as I'm aware.  noMMU never got to the
> stage when it was merged that it had any platforms before Hiyok went
> silent.
>
> The only real testing I'm aware of is when I recreated the OKI67001
> support a while back and got my board to boot.

Uwe has been busy pushing various patches for M3/M4 support, I don't
know how far it is from having some real hardware usable though. Uwe?

> As for qemu, software emulations while nice and convenient don't
> accurately reflect real hardware.

Oh, agreed, it doesn't beat hardware-based testing but in the absence
of hardware it's better than nothing.

-Olof