Representation of external memory-mapped devices in DT (gpmc)

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:37:08 EDT 2012

Hi Rob,

On Oct 29, 2012 10:49 PM, "Rob Herring" <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/29/2012 12:22 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:

> >> I don't know the details of the h/w, but I would think the DT core code
> >> should be able work out the addresses. This can be done using ranges
> >> property which defines the mapping of a child bus into the parent bus
> >> addresses.
> >
> > In this case, the controller is @0x50000000 while the external device is
> > mapped to address 0x0.
>
> Okay, so it's not fixed or some sub-range of the memory map.

It still haz a fixed position i  the memory map (0 - 0x1fffffff), but how
that space is divided for peripherals depends on the configuration.

> >> You may want a CS0 node with nand as a child node of that.
> >
> > Hmm, I don't see what that would buy us. The question is which way is
> > feasible for storing both the memory region and the cs number in the
> > device tree. The CS number should certainly go to the child node, no?
>
> I was thinking of if you had per CS properties you needed to setup each
> CS. So something like this (using non-zero address to show the
> translation better):
>
> gpmc {
>         compatible = "ti,gpmc", "simple-bus";
>         ti,hwmods = "gpmc";
>         reg = <0x50000000 0x2000>;
>
>         CS0 {
>                 // map 1MB @ gpmc offset 0 to host address 0x10000000
>                 ranges = <0x10000000 0x0 <0x100000>;

The most important bit has a syntax error ;-) Was that property meant to
carry 3 values?

>                 // other gpmc specific per CS properties.
>                 nand {
>                         reg = <0x0 0x100000>;
>                 }
>         };

so that way, the child has the awareness about the gpmc controller config
(the offset in the memory map), and is agnostic to the cs number in use,
right? I think this is not really the most convenient approach from a
user's perspective.

> The core code will look at parents' ranges properties to translate the
> local offset of 0 into host address of 0x10000000 Then the nand node's
> reg address will get translated to 0x10000000.

That part is understood, I'm just not sure whether this is the most useful
way of describing the h/w capabilities.

Thanks,
Daniel