OMAP baseline test results for v3.7-rc1

Felipe Balbi balbi at ti.com
Fri Oct 19 14:10:37 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 05:56:48PM +0000, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> Hi Felipe,
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > > * 3530ES3 Beagle: I2C timeouts during userspace init
> > >   - May be related to the threaded IRQ conversion of the I2C driver
> > >   - Unknown cause
> >
> > Doesn't seem like it's related to threaded IRQ. It says:
> >
> > [   23.673858] omap_i2c omap_i2c.1: timeout waiting for bus ready
> >
> > at that time we didn't even program the transfer yet, meaning we're not
> > even on wait_for_completion_timeout() inside omap_i2c_xfer_msg(). This
> > happens before:
> >
> > > static int omap_i2c_wait_for_bb(struct omap_i2c_dev *dev)
> > > {
> > > 	unsigned long timeout;
> > >
> > > 	timeout = jiffies + OMAP_I2C_TIMEOUT;
> > > 	while (omap_i2c_read_reg(dev, OMAP_I2C_STAT_REG) & OMAP_I2C_STAT_BB) {
> > > 		if (time_after(jiffies, timeout)) {
> > > 			dev_warn(dev->dev, "timeout waiting for bus ready\n");
> >
> > it' stopping here. And that's called...
> >
> > > 			return -ETIMEDOUT;
> > > 		}
> > > 		msleep(1);
> > > 	}
> > >
> > > 	return 0;
> > > }
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > static int
> > > omap_i2c_xfer(struct i2c_adapter *adap, struct i2c_msg msgs[], int num)
> > > {
> > > 	struct omap_i2c_dev *dev = i2c_get_adapdata(adap);
> > > 	int i;
> > > 	int r;
> > >
> > > 	r = pm_runtime_get_sync(dev->dev);
> > > 	if (IS_ERR_VALUE(r))
> > > 		goto out;
> > >
> > > 	r = omap_i2c_wait_for_bb(dev);
> >
> > right here. For whatever reason, the bus is kept busy (or at least the
> > driver thinks so).
> >
> > Looking closely at the logs I see that definitely I2C was working during
> > early boot (we managed to mount file system on SD card and twl got
> > initialized properly). But then we have a long time where I2C isn't
> > used, so it probably suspended in between.
> >
> > Then RTC wanted to read a register, I2C woke up, restored context, but
> > bus was kept busy, for whatever reason.
> >
> > Does it happen all the time on multiple boots or is it ramdom ?
>
> Just ran six boot tests here; it occurred in five of them.  Then tried
> five boot tests on v3.6 and the error didn't show up in any of them.
> Abbreviated log at the bottom.
>
> Would be happy to send along a copy of the userspace that was used if it
> would be useful to you.

no need for the userspace, I don't believe it will matter as the problem
happens when RTC is used somehow. I'll see if I can reproduce it here in
any way possible on my beagleXM (different OMAP, I know, but still.
Hopefully I'll trigger it, which means it's not a missing workaround).

cheers

--
balbi