Booting vanilla kernel on the beaglebone

Richard Cochran richardcochran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 07:43:26 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:19:28AM +0000, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 16:30:50, Richard Cochran wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:57:22AM +0000, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> > >
> > > I use omap2plus_defconfig + CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB + CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT and nothing more.
> >                                          ^
> > -----------------------------------------+  ???
> >
> > But in the u-boot console example you post, you load the dtb into
> > memory.
> >

> Its standard mechanism to boot kernel with DT and it is nothing to do
> with .config. as mentioned before I have already submitted patch to add dtb
> target to 'make dtbs'.

You say that you use CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB, which means:

   CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB:

   With this option, the boot code will look for a device tree binary
   (DTB) appended to zImage
   (e.g. cat zImage <filename>.dtb > zImage_w_dtb).

   This is meant as a backward compatibility convenience for those
   systems with a bootloader that can't be upgraded to accommodate
   the documented boot protocol using a device tree.

But in the example you gave, you seem to load the dtb in the "normal"
way, with a dtb-aware u-boot.

So how do you boot this? With the APPENDED hack? Or just using a
recent u-boot?

Thanks,
Richard