Kernel uncompression error

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Nov 15 04:32:33 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:56:47PM +0800, woody wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 1:34 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:23:55PM +0800, woody wrote:
>>> I just built a 3.2.x ARM kernel and tried to have it boot by a boot
>>> loader (vivi) on my s3c2410a ARM board.  The kernel was built with
>>> default configuration s3c2410.
>>
>> I reported that S3C2410 is totally dead with 3.x kernels about a month
>> ago and got no response what so ever from anyone.  I guess S3C2410 is
>> just not cared for anymore.
>>
>> When I get sufficient motivation, I'll try and track down what's going
>> wrong, but it means taking the old mailing list server (and now list
>> archive) offline for a while.
>>
>> I don't think it's cache related; different image sizes seem to behave
>> differently - and when they _do_ successfully decompress, they don't
>> boot at all.
>
> Now I switched from 3.2.x kernel to the latest stable 3.6.6. And, I did
> a lot of configuration to make the zImage size smaller, now it is 1.5M.
> After download it to the board, I got another error:
>
> "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."
>
> Then the kernel halted.
>
> I noticed, the dots (...) in the kernel log seems very short, is this a
> clue or just normal?

You've not told me anything I don't already know...  As I said, it needs
investigation as to what's going on.  I was rather hoping that the Samsung
people would look at it, but alas there seems to be zero interest from
them.

As for the shorter dots, that's normal now with the multi-format
decompressor.