moving Tegra30 to the common clock framework

Turquette, Mike mturquette at ti.com
Tue May 8 13:15:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM, zhoujie wu <zhoujiewu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> Could you please explain more details about how to implement a
> re-parenting operation as part of it's .set_rate implementation?

Sure.

> As far as I know, we can not call clk_set_parent in .set_rate function
> directly, since clk_set_rate and clk_set_parent are using the same
> prepare_lock.

That is correct.

> Any other interface can be used to implement it?

You have two options available to you.

1) __clk_reparent can be used from your .set_rate callback today to
reflect changes made to the tree topology.  OMAP uses this in our PLL
.set_rate implementation: depending on the re-lock frequency the PLL
may switch parents dynamically.  __clk_reparent does the
framework-level cleanup needed for this (that function is also used
when populating the clock tree with new clock nodes).

2) __clk_set_parent could be made non-static if you needed this (I've
been meaning to talk to Saravana about this since I think MSM needs
something like this).  This is not done today but perhaps you can
experiment with it and let me know what you find?

If you stare at the code for a while I'm sure you'll see how it comes
together.  If any infrastructure that you require is missing please
let me know.

Regards,
Mike