oprofile and ARM A9 hardware counter

Kevin Hilman khilman at ti.com
Tue May 8 10:00:45 EDT 2012

Jean Pihet <jean.pihet at newoldbits.com> writes:

[...]

>>> Although it is perfectly feasible to have a seamless transition of the
>>> EMU power domain, I think the PMU counters will not be accurate
>>> anymore since they stop counting events when going to OFF and re-start
>>> after the state restore.
>>

>> Good point, but I think the PMU might still works fine because located
>> inside the MPU domain. AFAIR, only the path to access the PMU and the CTI is
>> going to OFF and thus will be reset.
>
> Ever better point ;p Thanks for the precision.
> In any case my point was: can we allow the EMU CD to go OFF or prevent
> it from doing so? We need to answer that question first.

The idea I've suggested is to use runtime PM for this.  As long as the
PMU is in use, it will be runtime PM enabled (and not allowed to go into
HWSUP idle.)  When it is not used, it will be allowed to HWSUP idle, and
then be reset.  The next time it is needed, the runtime resume will need
to do a full re-init.

Kevin