Handling of modular boards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 4 16:38:57 EDT 2012

Dear Stephen,

In message <4FA432E9.9050606 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> representation of how to identify the child boards, and then have the
> kernel only use/parse certain chunks of the DT based on the ID results.

I expect that this will quickly cause problems, for example in those
many cases where pins and peripheral functions are multiplexed, or
usable for different purposes. I would not want to maintain a DT that
has to describe all combinations used by some boards - in a way that
does not cause conflicts on either of them.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
CONSUMER NOTICE:  Because  of  the  "Uncertainty  Principle,"  It  Is
Impossible  for  the  Consumer  to  Find  Out  at  the Same Time Both
Precisely Where This Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.