i.MX: Convert v4/v5 based SoCs to common clock framework

Turquette, Mike mturquette at ti.com
Tue Mar 20 19:27:28 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Rob Herring <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we want to move all clock code to drivers/clk? I'm not saying it has
> to be done now, but is that a goal?

My knee jerk response is to say "no".  Back in January a similar topic
came up for the AT91 CPUidle driver migrating to drivers/cpuidle/.
See Russell's reply here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/147849

If a platform's clock code lives in a silo and is nicely walled off
from other platform-specific bits then migration to drivers/clk/ is
possible.  In practice I think that more complex clock code and data
will have a hard time doing so.  Even the simple task of sharing a
header which exposes commonly used register addresses, offsets and
widths starts to get complicated when some of the code/data that uses
it lives in arch/* and some of it lives in drivers/*

Regards,
Mike