Latest OMAP4 build errors

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Mar 7 17:18:19 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Arnd & Olof, some urgent changes are needed, see below.
>
> * Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> [120307 01:34]:

>> > Ohad has sent a series of patches for review and there were no comments
>> > on those. The fix was part of it as far as I remember. I'm still waiting
>> > for a pull request from Ohad.
>>
>> Given that we're coming to the end of what could be the _final_ week
>> before the merge window opens, this is not good news.  Read: maybe
>> three days before final.
>>
>> The fact is that OMAP is - yet again - in a totally rotten state in terms
>> of what's queued up in the armsoc tree.  It is - yet again - completely
>> unbuildable for many configurations.  Just go and have a look at:
>>
>>       http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/build/
>>
>> to see what an utterly crappy state OMAP is in again.  Last nights build
>> was my tree plus latest arm-soc.  Some of those issues have patches (I
>> had been applying one patch manually to the build tree) but that's not
>> the point - they're not in arm-soc, so the OMAP code in arm-soc is not
>> yet ready for mainline.
>
> Yes looks like there's an issue with getting urgent patches applied into
> the arm-soc tree.. The patches to fix these issues are known and
> other issues and warnings should be all sorted out now except for some
> MMC changes that are still being discussed.
>
>> So, as OMAP is soo broken, and as promised after the last merge window -
>> I don't want any OMAP stuff going upstream from armsoc until we get error
>> free builds from the allno and old configs on the builder.
>
> What I got queued up in fixes-non-critical-part2 should fix all those
> errors and warnings.
>
> Arnd & Olof, I've posted one fix that should be applied to arm-soc tree
> at [1]. I've also posted a request to revert one commit in arm-soc tree
> at [2].
>
> As it seems that you did not apply those to arm-soc, please apply them,
> or repull the following two branches ASAP:

Done (repulled the branches). Stephen Rothwell has not surfaced on irc
yet, so hopefully this means it'll make it into today's linux-next.

> Re-pull fixes-non-critical containing one revert:
>
> Revert "ARM: OMAP2+: Fix multiple randconfig errors with SOC_OMAP and SOC_OMAP_NOOP"
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap fixes-non-critical
>
> Re-pull cleanup again containing one fix:
>
> ARM: OMAP2+: Fix L4_EMU_34XX_BASE error after iomap changes
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap cleanup
>
> Note that the second one I just pushed, however the patch is known to
> work for the build errors after merging arm-soc with Russell's changes.

Looks like you pasted the wrong subject above -- the mail below
contains the patch that you added though so it looked OK to me (the
subject above was the previous top-of-branch before you added the last
one).

> Arnd & Olof, for future, how you want to handle urgent issues like this?

Personally I missed the requests since they ended up in the chain of
replies and I didn't notice them, my mistake. A separate email
requesting pulls or patch application it to arm at kernel.org would
reduce the risk of that happening (Flagging the subject with [URGENT]
wouldn't hurt).

-Olof