Device tree.

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 17 09:32:55 EDT 2012

Le Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:41:35 +0200,
Florian Fainelli <florian at openwrt.org> a écrit :

> > What I typically do is generate a zImage, do the appending, and then
> > generate the uImage manually with mkimage. But I agree it could be
> > useful to have a 'make uImage.myboard' target which would happen the
> > myboard.dtb before preparing the uImage.
>
> Appending a given device tree blob to a zImage is something that
> should be solved outside of the kernel build imho.

Well, both PowerPC and Microblaze, and apparently C6X, have some sort
of <imageFormat>.<dtbName> make target:

$ make ARCH=microblaze help
[...]
  simpleImage.<dt> - ELF image with /boot/dts/<dt>.dts linked in
                   - stripped elf with fdt blob
  simpleImage.<dt>.unstrip - full ELF image with fdt blob

$ make ARCH=powerpc help
[...]
  cuImage.<dt>    - Backwards compatible U-Boot image for older
                    versions which do not support device trees
  dtbImage.<dt>   - zImage with an embedded device tree blob
  simpleImage.<dt> - Firmware independent image.
  treeImage.<dt>  - Support for older IBM 4xx firmware (not U-Boot)

$ make ARCH=c6x help
[...]
  dtbImage.<dt>   - ELF image with /boot/dts/<dt>.dts linked in
                  - stripped elf with fdt blob

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons