Is Pandaboard cpuhotplug working stably?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 12:21:59 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:19:32AM +0530, Varun Wadekar wrote:

> >> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/20/79
> >> [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/12/15/255
> > [1] is already fixed - and is not the latest "problem" with this code.
> > Fixing the problem in [1] actually itself created the latest problem
> > with smp_call_function() which wasn't there before this change.  Patch
> > [2] refers to this problem and proposes a fix for it.
>
> Any idea if this patch if good to go in mainline? I am facing the same
> issue on Tegra with 3.1.5 and this patch fixes the issue caused by [1].

Either we deem the fix for [1] to have caused a worse problem than it
fixed and we back it out, or the patch in [2] gets merged.

Which happens depends on the scheduler people; it can only be solved by
solving the nigh-on impossible-to-satisfy demands of the scheduler code
upon the CPU hotplug code.

I would suggest that [2] is a rather important patch which needs to be
merged before -final.