insmod problem on ARM with more than 16MB of RAM?

Vladimir K vlad at emcraft.com
Fri Feb 3 11:12:04 EST 2012

> So for MMU platforms, we just ensure that modules are always placed
> within reach of the kernel text.  For nommu platforms, modules are
> a bitch - and TBH given the virtually non-existent activity/interest
> from the nommu sector, it's something I'm willing to spend the grand
> total of zero time to solve this _really_ _hard_ problem.

Wouldn't just adding a -mlong-calls to CFLAGS_MODULE
resolve the problem?

Something along the lines of:

ifeq ($(CONFIG_MODULES),y)
CFLAGS_MODULE    += -mlong-calls
endif

in arch/arm/Makefile.

This this change, modules work fine for me on a 32MBytes RAM
Cortex-M3 configuration.

Regards,
Vladimir Khusainov