OMAP3 L2/outer cache enabled in kernel (after being disabled by uBoot)?

Shilimkar, Santosh santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Wed Feb 1 02:12:12 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:

[...]

>> I also understand that patching early common code is going to be tricky
>> and of-course against the single zImage.
>>
>> So the option mentioned by Nicolas and Catalin about 1:1 mapping
>> and configuring the registers in platform specific code was looking
>> a way forward. So was asking more questions about whether this can
>> work in all cases. Specifically for A15.
>
> So far this is apparently your best option.  And luckily the code to
> create a 1:1 mapping, turn off MMU, then turn MMU back on and tear down
> the 1:1 mapping already exists.  All you need to do is to insert the
> cache workaround activation in the middle of that instead of shutting
> the CPU down.

thanks.

>> As per Catalin's email, it is best to handle those cases before MMU is
>> enabled with boot-monitor or pre-load code.
>
> These days bootloaders are turning the MMU on for themselves, so you'll
> need pre-load code for the bootloader already.  Either that, or the
> issue is not necessarily _that_ critical in which case you can afford to
> enable your workaround a bit later during the kernel boot.

This is indeed a good point.
The mainline u-boot(denx) now a days have MMU support so we need to have
the necessary WA before that code anyways.

We will attempt the 1:1 mapping option as well but to be 100 % safe for
the previous 3 statges of MMU ON ( 1. Bootloader, 2. De-compressor
and 3. Kernel setup), looks like moving all of this security settings
before all 3 stages is most appropriate.

Thanks for the good discussion.

Regards
Santosh